Why Set Goals?
Setting goals helps us achieve what we desire of life and become a success. It helps us maintain our focus and keeps us motivated till we achieve life’s aims.
Goal Setting Tips
Some of the benefits of setting goals are mentioned below.
- Goals enable us to see what is important and sieve it out from what is everyday life. When we are able to understand what is really important, then we automatically tend to have increased focus and clarity of thought, which in turn permits us to gainfully work towards that goal.
- Goals offer you a visual of the destination and help carve a path it. Without that specific goal, we would wander around aimlessly and without any direction.
- Setting goals allows us to take hold of our lives and get more control of it. Without set goals that we seek, our life would be directionless and we would have no control over where it takes us.
- Setting goals, working towards achieving them, and finally realizing them instills in you a sense of increased confidence. You had set out to attain specific goals and you were able to accomplish it. Such increased faith in your capability can be a great source of personal satisfaction.
- One of the most important benefits of setting goals that it offers motivation. Lack of motivation and zest are often the reasons why many of us just walk through life, like a zombie. Goals provide aspiration and hope; having goals that provide meaning to our lives and enrich it can be really motivating.
- Goal setting can help you become a master of the self, whether it is in personal life, work life, financial life, or other areas of life. The successful pursuit of goals not only enhances the feeling of goodness about the self, but the process of envisioning the goals, creating strategies for achieving them, overcoming the odds in the way, and finally achieving the goals, also plays a huge role in us gaining mastery of the process and build our character.
- Setting goals offers us a purpose in life, a reason to live, a reason to work, a reason to save, a reason to socialize, and a reason to be happy.
A few tips on how to set goals are listed below.
- Ensure that the goals are achievable. It is no use setting goals that we do not have the capacity or the capability to accomplish.
- Make adjustments to the goals, as and when needed, according to the changes occurring in your life and your surroundings.
- Break down the bigger goal into smaller specific goals, each of which leads to the realization of the end goal. Achievement of short-term goals will gradually lead to the accomplishment of the long-term goals and dreams.
- Ensure that the goals are specific and not vague. For example, if you want to lose weight, then the goal has to be ‘I will lose 5 kilograms by end of 3 months’. Thus, there is the specificity of the amount of weight you want to lose and in what time frame.
- Go for SMART goals, i.e., set goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Bound.